Computer Organization (2013-14), Tutorial # 1
August 2, 2013
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of storing the programs and
data in the same memory. Under what circumstances is it desirable to
have these in separate memories?
- What are the functions performed by each of the following: CPU, Memory,
- What is the difference between types of operations performed by first
generation computers and present generation computers?
- What is difference
between ComputerOrganization and ComputerArchitecture? \item What
is open Architecture? (Hint: Open Source)
- Suggest two examples in each case: 1. Too large data but computation
is small, 2. Too small data but computation is large. \item Write a
small C program with nesting of loops so that code size is small but
should take more time. Run this program with following command in
linux and justify the answer you get as well as explain the answer. $ time
- Does human brain do execution of instruction, like computers do? Justify.
- Does human brain perform parallel computation or has potential for this?
- Can you suggest some other models of computation than the Von
- Is the evolution process computational ? Justify you answer.
- Find out by a command of linux by which we can say that linux is a
- Find out the linux commands for: size of RAM, memory area, OS area,
- How can you work editing a file and at the same time run another program
- NOTE : The assignment is to be kept ready on A4 sheets, and is to be
submitted when submission date is communicated.